Communication Studies Program
Because the ability to succeed in any workplace is largely determined by effective communication skills and an understanding of communication issues, departments of communication studies train its graduate to earn this skill. Communication studies program provides leadership in communication by preparing students to be effective and responsible communicators in a global society, striving to create a climate of civility where leadership and innovation are prized, and responsibility and accountability are understood.
The major in communication studies provides students with the best features of a liberal arts and a professional education. Students develop a specialization in the field by selecting an area of concentration that provides a focus to the major but is not intended to be career specific.
At Ohio University Zanesville students receive a degree in Communication but each students can pursue a concentration in the following areas.
- Organization Communication
- Health Communication
- Communication and Public Advocacy
Credit Hours Summary
Core Courses 28 hrs.
Concentration Courses 32 hrs.
Related Area Courses 28 hrs.
Foreign Language or Cultural Courses 12 hrs.
Technology Courses 8 hrs.
Tier I 9 hrs
Tier II 32 hrs.
Tier III (Capstone Course) 4 hrs.
Admission Requirements to Communication Dept. at Ohio University Zanesvill.
- Top 30% of your graduating class and ACT score of 21 or SAT score of 1060
- Top 50% of your graduating class and ACT of 23 or SAT score of 1060
- Every quarter admissions for regional campus
- 2.75 G.P.A in 48 quarter hours or 32 semester hours or a 2.75 G.P.A. in 3 consecutive quarters at the Zanesville campus
- Separate application process. Must contact either Dr. Sheida Shirvani (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Rita Ng (email@example.com)
- School of Communication Studies Check Sheet
- School of Communication Studies Transfer Form
- Check Sheet for COMS Minor
This page has the following sub pages.